Facebook-WhatsApp Deal: Is Paying Rs 1 Lakh crore For A Free App.



Fanta Singh was informed that Facebook had acquired WhatsApp, the messaging app, for $16 billion. Fanta was hard of hearing and did not believe his ears. He asked his friend to repeat, which he did: Facebook was paying Rs 1 lakh crore to buy WhatsApp. On hearing this, Fanta Singh began to laugh hysterically! Later he said, "Arre, what a bewakoof that Zuckerberg paaji is! Does he have bhains buddhi (buffalo brains)? Why did he pay Rs 1 lakh crore for an app that is free?"

If you've had your laugh, let me also earn your respect. A year ago, I was trying to get a peculiar sized table made. It was a square table that needed to be portable, light in weight and sturdy. After a couple of nerve-racking sessions with my mom's carpenter (who always has a 1-cm pencil stuck behind his ear), I was making no progress.

The bidi-smelly fellow was trying to make a table that reminded me of the one used in Jesus' last supper — whereas I wanted something that Steve Jobs would love me for. In the end, he said, "Alokbhai, don't worry. I will draw more pictures and send them to you by WhatsApp. You have WhatsApp, naa?" I was stunned.

Facebook's $16-billion acquisition of WhatsApp is as spectacular as seeing a Star Wars spaceship cruise by Marine Drive. It's a mind-numbing, brain-quashing, and cardio-inflaming deal.

Now, for the record, I maintain the deal price at $16 billion since I am not accounting for the $3 billion RSUs (restrictive stock options that WhatsApp employees will further receive from Facebook. That part always has a lot of 'ifs and buts'. So, is this deal a masterstoke or a mahablunder by Facebook? Let me present my thoughts from both perspectives:
As Per :- economictimes

Also Like